Authors:William J. "Jay" O'Hern
William J. "Jay" O'Hern is all about the Adirondacks.
It started more than 60 years ago, when his family camped each summer around Eighth Lake and Brown's Tract.
His love affair with the mountains accelerated in his 20s, when he began backpacking through the wilderness. He's been at it for nearly a half-century since. He has indeed walked the walk, and he's also talked the talk, producing numerous books about the Adirondacks and the people who live there, with a special emphasis on the famed hermit, Noah John Rondeau and his friends.
"I'm definitely interested in the social history," said O'Hern, a Camillus native and retired Camden schools social studies, English and reading teacher. "It's not just about someone like Noah John Rondeau, but so many of the original Adirondack families that I met. I feel privileged that they have shared information with me. I feel a real obligation to the history of the mountains. It's going to disappear if we don't record it."
And record it he does.
Jay continues to work on Adirondack projects for those who appreciate the mountains, their people and their history. Jay's books are available through his websites; Amazon, Barnes & Noble; most Adirondack and North Country bookstores; and also at his hometown area stores: Full Moon Reflections, Carpenter's Hardware, and CampFitters in Camden, New York. Customers can also order any of his books by calling North Country Books, Inc. at 1-800-342-7409.
Book Fairs, Book Signings, Fundraisers, Other (Historical Programs)
- Life in a North Woods Lumber Camp, Expanded Edition (, View Book Image) - Memoirs of O'Hern's grandfather, Thomas C. O'Donnell
- Adirondack Camp Stories: A Treasury of True Tales, Lore, History, Recreation, and Colorful Characters of the Mountains (, View Book Image)
- Adirondack Logging: Stories, Memories, and Cookhouse Chronicles from Adirondack and Tug Hill Lumber Camps: Life and Times in the Early Years of Logging Mechanization (, View Book Image)
- Spring Trout & Strawberry Pancakes (, View Book Image)
- Adirondack Memories and Campfire Stories (, View Book Image)
- Adirondack Wilds: Exploring the Haunts of Noah John Rondeau (, View Book Image)
- The Hermit and Us: Our Adirondack Adventures with Noah John Rondeau (, View Book Image)
- Adirondack Kaleidoscope and North Country Characters (, View Book Image)
- Adirondack Adventures: Bob Gillespie and Harvey Dunham on French Louie's Trail (, View Book Image) - Co-authored with Roy E. Reehil; introduction by Neal Burdick
- Life in a North Woods Lumber Camp (, View Book Image) - Memoirs of O'Hern's grandfather, Thomas C. O'Donnell
- Noah John Rondeau's Adirondack Wilderness Days (, View Book Image)
- Under An Adirondack Influence: The Life of A. L. Byron-Curtiss, 1871–1959 (, View Book Image) - Co-authored with Roy E. Reehil
- Adirondack Characters and Campfire Yarns: Early Settlers and Their Traditions (, View Book Image)
- Adirondack Stories of the Black River Country (, View Book Image)
- Anyplace Wild in the Adirondacks (, View Book Image) - Collectable Postcard Book
- Life with Noah: Stories and Adventures of Richard Smith with Noah John Rondeau (, View Book Image)